Pages

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Well, Look What The Cat Dragged In!

Would ya just look what the cat dragged in?  Yup, it's me.  I'm still here, thinkin' about you all, but not having much to say myself.  I wish I could tell you that I've been fabulously busy, but that's not really true.  Yes, things have been going on like 'normal crazy' around here, but not 'OMG Crazy!'



This week has been our Easter Break from school.  I've done a bit more running than I had planned this week.  Which is kind of annoying to me with gas at $4.01 a gallon!!!  Two last minute doctor's appointments were added into the 'you can each have one friend over & I'll drive one way' idea.  Then I ended up making 2 trips to Lowes & one trip to the local hardware store.  *sigh*  Oh well, done & over with.... moving on.

I've been working on a project for the last few weeks.  It's been slow coming together, but now it's finally done.  Here's my initial problem:

The 'coat corner' in our living room.
The 'coat corner', the spot that everyone sees when they walk into my home.  As I've said before I live in a Circa 1830's house - there are no closets.  So anyhoot, what's in this pile of crap stuff?  Coats obviously, 4 people times two or three at a time.  There are all the shoes.  The cubby to put the shoes in, along with the bins to put hats/gloves/bike helmets in.  Then if you look to the lower left, you can see this is also the dumping ground for school backpacks.

How did this happen?  I finally figured it out.  We grew.  As children grew bigger, so did their coats & shoes.  They no longer fit in one cute wooden box & hung from the pegs (without hitting the floor).  So the first thing I did was get the 9-hole cubby.  Which works great, when we limit our shoes & stuff.  However, now that I have the cubby, not all of the coats hang nice & they make the cubby hard to get to.  My wonderful shoe solution created a ripple effect & I had to now 'fix' the coats.  I came up with an idea to make a coat rack out of a louvered door.

Tomorrow I'll show you all of the steps I took (minus a couple that the Lego King erased off the camera while photographing lego creations).  I love the finished product.  I think you will too.  You'll have to tune in tomorrow though.  I'll keep you in suspense!

As for the 'cat dragging'?  Do you remember how we caught all those chipmunks back last fall?  Well, I saw one run across the yard the other day.  So the Lego King got out the handy-dandy Hav-A-Heart trap to catch it.  The next morning we went out & the door had been ripped off!!  He had caught something big & it got out!  So, we borrowed a bigger trap & this morning went out to find something black & furry in the cage - a very, very ANGRY something black!  I approached fearfully thinking the worst.  It ended up being a feral black cat!  Whew!!

I called three of our local Humane Societies & two of them said, unless I wanted to try & domesticate it, I should 1. just release it back to OUR yard.  2. Relocate it & let it go if it looked healthy.  Really?  Really?  Hmmmm.  None of them would take it as they're full of cats (one is a kill shelter & I wouldn't take it there anyhow).  So the only thing I could do was to relocate it & let it go.   We went a couple of miles up the road to a wooded area, there was an abandoned garage across the road (the house has long since burned down) and let him/her go.  It took off like a shot.  Poor kitty.  I hope it will be ok.  *sigh*  I know I can't take in all the strays.

What has the cat dragged in at your house?

Bye!  Love you!  Have a good day, Dear!

1 comment:

  1. Poor kitty. :( I hate that people are irresponsible about spaying and neutering their pets. I used to go running down by the bay in Berkeley, and I remember seeing a nice lady come to feed dozens of feral cats every day. I always worried about her and hoped she would stay well because she was taking care of so many cats who were dependent on her.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by A Mommy's Blog Design © 2013