Pages

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Liar, Liar Pants on Fire

I have to tell you about one major pet peeve that I have.  I cannot stand disrespectful people.  That is one thing that makes my blood boil faster than anything.  Liars are another thing that drive me up a wall.  I was always brought up to respect my elders.  In our local school system, there are at least two generations of disrespectful people that I have met.  Rarely have I met anyone where it go into a 3rd generation (those born in the 50's & 60's).

My ex was very disrespectful in his treatment of me, he would belittle me in front of people, literally turn his shoulder away from me as he walked around me so as not to touch me.  And he was a liar.  When my two older children & I escaped from that relationship and I learned to be a whole person again, one thing I taught them was to be respectful & DO NOT lie. 

All my kids can tell you that I've told them over & over, 'If you're big & bad enough to say it or do it.... you better be big & bad enough to accept the consequences!'  If they were caught lying their consequences were bigger than what they would have been had they admitted what they'd done in the first place.  I'm not saying that my kids are perfect & don't ever lie, I'd be dumb to even think that.  Everyone, including myself has lied at some point or another.  I know they have lied & I know they've probably gotten away with some stuff.  Many times my kids have come to me later & said,  'Mom?  You know when I said such & such?  Well.....', just because the guilt is eating them up inside.

Friday there was an Activity Night at school along with a Lock-In for the students involved in the club that sponsored it.  I had volunteered to show the Lock-In students a craft that night after the Activity Night.  The Lego King was going and on the way there I got this odd feeling that I really needed to stay.  So I did, and they were a little skimpy on chaperones.  I worked in the pool helping the lifeguards.  Since I work with the whole 6th grade, I know almost all of the kids (there are probably about 15-20 that are in classrooms that I don't ever see, but I know who they are).  There was one boy that I had seen before, but I didn't think he was a 6th grader... come to find out he wasn't.  He was a 5th grader - long, long story short - we had to ask him to leave. 

Fast forward about half an hour... another 6th grade student comes into the pool area with her 3rd grade sister.  I stopped her & said that her sister couldn't go swimming.  She looks at me sucks her teeth & rolls her eyes & then turns around & stomps out.  So I called to her... she refused to stop... I go out in the hall (where another teacher is standing) and continue to ask her to stop & come back, please.  She absolutely refused & kept stomping off. The other teacher called to her too.  Her little sister stood there.  I looked at her, apologized that she wouldn't be allowed into the pool, as we had just turned away a 5th grader.  She said Ok, & went after her sister.  Now here's the kicker - her mother teaches in a room 3 doors down from my room.  Ahem!!!  The other teacher told the student that she needed to apologize to me & I was told that she said that she already had.  Ah, No, she hadn't.  So, unfortunately I will be writing a disciplinary report up on her tomorrow morning. 

How can an 11 year old child be so disrespectful?  (This is the same girl who was caught breaking into another student's locker & when she was called on it & asked if she knew why she was in trouble admitted that 'Yeah, it was because she'd punched the Lego King' - so she busted herself on that crime.... I found out later that she had punched MY kid!)  I have told all of my kids, because I work in the school, they will be held to a higher standard, they will be respectful, they will take their consequences without complaint if they mess up.  How can you allow your children to talk back to you (as many of us have heard her talk back to her mother) or other adults and then look you in the eye & tell you you were wrong & didn't hear her right.

She's not the only one.  There are plenty of others AND their parents.  Those who think that they are entitled.  That you and the world owe them something/everything.  That they don't have to work for anything.  There have been teachers who have taught adjunct classes at local colleges & have found that the students there expect handouts & exceptions to rules 'just because' they asked for it or demanded it.  What is wrong with people?  Am I that far off in believing that in order to be respected you need to be respectful?  And Lying?  Oh for pete's sakes - don't even get me started.  It's so much easier to remember crap if you don't have to remember what lie you told to whom.

What do you think about people who are disrespectful?

Bye!  Love you!  Have a good day, Dear!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by A Mommy's Blog Design © 2013