Pages

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Are You Stinkin' Kidding Me?

Are you stinkin' kidding me?  I cannot believe how much crap stuff  one family can have.  Yesterday the kids & I* set up the portable garage to get ready for the yard sale on Friday & Saturday.  Today the Lego King & I* moved stuff from our shed to the garage.... and we haven't even moved all of it yet..... There are still some camping things that we're going to get rid of (we don't use or our family has out-grown them.  Then there are round clothing racks that I bought when I had my dream of opening a children's clothing consignment shop.  Plus the hangers & cash register & all of the stuff that goes with it.  THAT'S all still in there.... I didn't get that out yet.... Holy crap!!!  I haven't even started unloading the stuff from the house yet!! 

I'm really quite amazed at all of the excess that I could get rid of easily.  The stuff that didn't cause too much 'pain' to get rid of - the stuff that was a 'no brainer'.  There is still stuff that I could have gotten rid of had I had more time. 

There are two ways of looking at it.  The first is to go through each room and FULLY purge, rearrange & organize your stuff.  I started out that way - it got too overwhelming for me.  Too many things to detach from, too many details & things for me to do to see some type of result.  The second way to do it, is to go through fairly quickly (giving about as much time as you can in that moment) and get rid of the no-brainer stuff.  Things that don't take alot of thought.  Things that don't matter much in the big scheme of things.  Things that your family definitely no longer uses or you've out grown.  This is what I ended up doing.  I have been able to get through many places alot quicker than if I'd reeeeallly done a full & thorough job.  Now the disadvantage is that I'll have to go back through it again.  The advantage is that I have piles of crap stuff in a short amount of time for this yard sale.

Here's the deal.  At least this is what I think I'll be getting out of this process.  By the time I get to the end of my first round of decluttering, I should be pretty good at it.  Right?  So I'm thinking that when I go back around again I'll be able to detach from things even more & get rid of even more.  I know that it is a process, one that will take me quite awhile to accomplish.  Every time I have cleared an area in a room - or organized it - or whatever, I feel I can take even bigger steps to get rid of stuff.  And the super weird thing?  I LIKE it!!!

*Lest you think that King Turd of Poop Mountain & the Princess were slacking, he was working and she was invited to her best friend's birthday dinner.

Bye!  Love you!  Have a good day, Dear!

2 comments:

  1. Not sure why I have in my head that you live somewhere in the New York area? If I have my blog-friend memories straight - Sure hope the weather doesn't wreck you sale! (or anything else) If I'm all mixed up (which is a very real possibility) - never mind! *said in best Rosannadanna voice...*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting on my Another Mop Job post. So I popped over to read your blog and can relate to trying to set up a garage sale. Am thinking about doing that in Sept but not sure. Just might drag stuff out and just have people come by! We have a street where there's quite a bit of traffic. Oh I don't know! Hubby has worked on our washer 2x now. He will hopefully get the other part tomorrow so he can put it all back together and I can do some laundry. Part of it's in the garage, other stuff in house (washer, that is.) At least it's not costing us a lot, I hope! Take care and have a good week!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by A Mommy's Blog Design © 2013