Pages

Thursday, August 4, 2011

It's a Date!

I have a lunch date!!!  Naw.... not with King Turd of Poop Mountain.... although that would be nice... nope, it's with my friend Dawn.  I'm so excited!  I love getting together with her.  We're planning on meeting at a local pizza joint (her favorite spot to eat).

I know that we'll spend time talking about our dogs.  She has a black lab mix named, Remington.... yeah, after the gun... Dawn shoots skeet.... Me?  I'm lucky that I can just shoot the bull with someone...  She hunts too... And she makes her own cards - she stamps, I scrapbook - we're dying to go through each others stash.  She drinks hard liquor, I drink wine (Hazlitt 1852 Vineyards Red Cat).  She's an only child, I have 2 brothers & 3 step-brothers.

You would think that Dawn & I don't have much in common.  She's NOT a girly-girl.  She doesn't like pink & bright colors like I do, she likes colors - just not bright (and definitely NOT pink or purple).  She likes guns, & antique bubble gum & cigarette cards.  She drives a pickup, I drive a Mommy Mobile.  I have 3 kids, she has none.  I've been married twice & she's never been married.  Her teaching degree is in Biology!  Stuff that blows my mind... that no way can I figure out.... But then again, I teach AIS Math & that boggles some other people.

Anyhow, I didn't think I was going to like this girl when I first met her about 6 years ago.  She was quiet & didn't socialize much.  When she spoke, she seemed sharp.  The kids at school didn't care for her much because at that time she was the Internal Studies (aka Internal Suspension) Teacher.  So I had these preconceived notions in my head when I got stuck with her at a conference thing... and you know what I found out?  I DO like her - very much! She's VERY shy, she wears her heart on her sleeve, she's an only child, and she doesn't beat around the bush when she talks to you (which I like in a person - alot).  She is snarky (LOVE that trait too), she is one of the sweetest people you would ever want to meet.  And once you have her for a friend - you have a friend for life.

I'm glad I have had the experiences in my life that I've had.  Just so that I can be open to really SEE other people for who they really are.  I'm glad that I was wrong.  I can't wait to say 'Hi!' 

Bye! Love you!  Have a good day, Dear!


2 comments:

  1. Isn't great when you think about all the "flavors" of friends there are????

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have found that the more I throw away my preconceived notions of people, the luckier I am in life. Most of my true friends are so unlike me, we're like the Odd Couple. I love interesting people and I've learned the people who are most interesting to me, are the ones who are least like me. Have so much fun with your friend.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by A Mommy's Blog Design © 2013